Creamy Sweet Potato and Rice Porridge 番薯米糊
2 small orange potatoes (about 80g)
4 screwpine leaves (optional)
3 tablespoons rice flour
- Peel the sweet potatoes, cut into small pieces (2-cm thick), then place them immediately into a bowl of salt-added water to prevent oxidation.
- Rinse and strain the sweet potato pieces, and transfer them to a deep saucepan filled with fresh water enough to cover the content by about 3 cm over the top.
- Wash the screwpine leaves and tie them together into a knot. Place it in the saucepan and fully submerge it in the water.
- Bring it to a boil, then turn heat down to lowest setting and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Fish the screwpine leaves out, and continue to simmer on low heat for another 20 minutes. By then the sweet potatoes should be soft enough and can be mashed with a masher into fine form.
- Mix the rice flour with a few tablespoons water, stir the mixture into the saucepan and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. At this stage it cannot be left unattended because the added rice flour will cause it to over boil and spill.
- Turn heat off and ready to serve.
This is really soft and creamy and can be sucked through a large straw, given the condition of my lips. Otherwise, I could've also made the potato less mashed up.