Olive Egg Fried Rice with Basil and Artichoke
When I've been out all day then walked up a steep hill to get home, the last thing I want to do is to do extensive cooking, no matter how hungry I am. And it's times like this that I'm truly thankful that I often have some leftover boiled rice in the fridge saved for rainy days.
With all the necessary ingredients already in the fridge:
Leftover boiled rice
4 cloves of garlic, sliced
A bunch of black olives, sliced
2 tablespoons of the brine from the jar of black olives
1 piece of marinated artichoke heart, sliced
A bunch of basil from the garden
Salt & pepper to taste
Some chilli flakes
In about 10 minutes, my version of olive fried rice with basil and artichoke is done:
- Heat some oil in a hot wok, fry the eggs on high heat and quickly flip and cut the egg into small pieces with the spatula. Throw in the garlic, stir fry for about 2 minutes till slightly browned.
- Chuck in the sliced olives and artichoke and stir fry for about 1 minute then add in the rice.
- Keep stirring to make sure the rice grains are nicely separated then pour in the olive brine, mix well.
- Leaving several basil leaves aside, add the rest into the rice and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring constantly until the basil leaves are soft, before turning the heat off.
- Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle the chilli flakes and the remaining basil leaves over.