Halloween Mood Creamy Pumpkin and Carrot Soup
So I've got my cauldron ready for some really easy to make pumpkin and carrot soup. It is naturally creamy and sweet, so there is no need for to add cream or even stock.
All I needed were:
Half a small pumpkin (approx. 500g), cut into chunks
2-3 medium carrots, cut into small chunks
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon olive oil
1.5 litre filtered water
Half teaspoon coarse rock salt
Preparing the potion... err, soup:
- In a medium-sized, deep saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Saute the carrot chunks for a few minutes.
- Add in the filtered water and the coarse rock salt. Stir well and bring to a boil, and continue to cook till the carrot chunks start to soften.
- Add in the pumpkin chunks. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer till the vegetable chunks are really soft. As I don't have a food processor or hand blender to create a fine and smooth texture, I've only used a masher. I like a little rustic magic in my potions 😁
- Top with a tiny dollop of butter and sprinkle of thyme before serving. Vegan witches can opt for a little vegetable spread 😉
- Enough for 2-3 witches. Great as a healthy light lunch with a few slices of the soda bread I've been practising lately.
I find the soup texture is thick enough so I don't even need to add any thickener such as flour or starch, which makes it gluten free 😀