Low Sugar Blueberry Muffins Home Baked
For the muffin batter:
100g plain flour
30g brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
A pinch of sea salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
60ml vegetable oil
60ml plain yoghurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
100g fresh blueberries, washed and drained
For the crumble top:
2 teaspoons butter
3 teaspoons plain flour
2 teaspoons brown sugar
- I started off by preparing the crumble top by mixing the 3 ingredients together in a small bowl, using 2 forks, until the mixture becomes crumbs-like. Set aside.
- Set the oven to 185°C, and lightly grease a 6-hole muffin pan or line it with paper baking cups.
- Combine all the wet ingredients for muffin batter in a bowl or a measuring jug.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the middle. Gradually pour the wet ingredients mixture into the well whilst folding together gently just until the dry ingredients are moistened. The batter should still be lumpy.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into each cup/muffin pan hole evenly, filling up to about 3/4 of the depth.
- Scatter the crumble mix over each cup of batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes. As this is a new oven, I did have to test these by sticking a skewer through the muffin to see if it's baked properly.