Spaghetti with Roasted Vegetables & Feta Cheese
Sometimes, when I'm in my extra lazy mood and yet I want to have something nice and not settled for anything processed or instant, I'd go for a simple pasta dish. And tonight I just really fancy having it with some roasted vegetables.
All the ingredients I used are what I can find in the kitchen and made do with:
Some red bell pepper (capsicum) I'd chopped up and stored in the freezer for future use
A jar of artichoke in oil, which I took a few pieces from
1 onion, chopped into 1cm chunks
Spaghetti (remaining 1/3 of a pack)
HP Brown Sauce
Salt & pepper
Dried basil (home-grown and home-dried)
The very simple steps:
- Cook the spaghetti according to the usual instructions on the pack.
- Place the frozen bell pepper (do not defrost), artichoke and chopped onion in an oven dish wide enough to hold the vegetables in 1 layer (not stacked up). Dribble some cooking oil (I'm using rice bran oil) and a little splash of HP Brown Sauce over, mix well so that everything is evenly coated. It's easier to use a spray oil but I haven't any, so we'll live.
- Sprinkle some oregano and salt & pepper over, roast in the oven at 190ºC for about 20 minutes.
- When the pasta is done, drain the water and toss it with a little oil from the feta cheese.
- Put the roasted vegetables with the spaghetti, and finish with a little sprinkle of chilli flakes and dried basil.
There's no meat but I have to say it's rather filling, and the natural sweetness from the bell pepper and onion makes up for the taste. I've only had about half the cooked pasta so the rest would be good for lunch tomorrow, probably with some fresh basil from the garden and more feta cheese 😉