Adzuki Red Bean Paste 豆沙/红豆馅
I scooped out most of the beans with a slotted spoon, and kept them in the freezer to make muffins with.
The remaining (still with some beans in it) came down to about a small bowl which has thickened in the fridge. I think I've had enough of adzuki bean porridge in the last week so I'm not going to just eat it again. But, waste not want not, so I have to do something about it - or with it.
So I thought I'd make some pie filling with it, which can be kept chilled or frozen for future use.
- Pour the leftover adzuki bean porridge which weighs about 400ml, into a small saucepan and mix in 2 teaspoons of corn flour and 1 teaspoon of rice bran oil.
- Cook it on very low heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens into a paste.
- Add in a little sugar to desired taste at this point. I don't like it too sweet so I've kept it as is, because some sugar had been added when cooking the adzuki bean porridge; and now that more liquid has been reduced, it's actually got sweeter.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Use it as filling for pie/tart or puff pastry immediately, or chill/freeze in an airtight container for future use.