Home Baked Bread and Butter Pudding
Few pieces of old bread
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 cups of fresh/full fat milk
3 medium eggs
1/2 cup raisins
Some unsalted butter
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Lightly line the inside of a baking dish with some butter.
- Cut the bread into 6 triangles, trim the crust off if you wish to.
- Spread both sides of the bread with some vegetable spread, and place them in the baking dish with the longer side touching the base.
- Scatter the raisins in between the bread slices, and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon over it.
- Beat the eggs with the milk, brown sugar, and the remaining ground cinnamon in a deep bowl or a large measuring cup till the mixture is smooth and the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly into the baking dish, over the bread.
- Place the pudding into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, take it out to lightly sprinkle a thin layer of brown sugar (about 1 teaspoon is good enough) over the top of the pudding with your fingers. Place it back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes to let the sugar caramelise.
- Serve it with hot custard or cream, or just have it on its own (I do that sometimes 😀)
I don't use as much sugar as most recipes suggested because the raisins will give a natural sweetness to the pudding. Depending on what I can find in the house, sometimes I may replace the raisins with sultanas and/or other dried fruit. I'd even tried adding a few slices of banana between the bread and it was surprisingly tasty too.