Grilled Aubergine Cheese Melts
This is one of those things that adds to post holiday blues: shortage of food at home! I wasn't going to leave much food in the fridge or freezer whilst I go away for 3 whole weeks so it was an obvious decision. On top of that, I arrived home just before the Eid holiday so the only thing that was open near me was the corner shop downstairs.
Ah well, beggars can't be choosers (I find myself saying this all the time); I got 2 of the freshest looking round aubergines and some Arab flatbread and made myself some grilled aubergine cheese melt.
1 aubergine, sliced into 6
Cheddar cheese, grated (enough to cover the aubergine surface)
Salt and pepper
Some home grown and dried basil
Rice bran oil
- Set the oven for 180ºC.
- Line an oven tray with foil and dribble about 2 tablespoons of rice bran oil and spread out roughly.
- Dab both sides of the aubergine slices evenly with the oil before arranging them on the tray.
- Sprinkle with oregano and salt & pepper, then cook in the oven for about 10 minutes. Prepare the cheese whilst waiting.
- Take the tray out and cover each slice of aubergine with the cheese. Finish with a sprinkle of the dried basil then put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with flatbread, some black olives and feta cheese. I was lucky to have popped in to the nearest supermarket two days ago just before it was shut and managed to get some mizuna, and it goes nicely with the dish.
If I had any garlic in the house, I would've minced a clove or two to mix in with the cheese. But for now, this will do.
I suppose you could use any hard cheese or mozzarella, but my personal favourite for this is mature cheddar 😍