Simple Tuna Fish Cakes
4 small potatoes
A can of flaked tuna in olive oil
1/4 carrot, finely chopped
Half a red onion, finely chopped
3-4 basil leaves, finely chopped
6-8 sprigs of chives, finely chopped
A pinch of sea salt
2 tablespoons corn flour
1 egg, roughly beaten
1 cup bread crumbs
A handful of flat leave parsley, roughly torn into small sprigs
1 or 2 limes
Here's what I do:
- Peel and cut the potatoes into small chunks, boil till you can poke a fork through the chunks easily. Drain the water, mash the potato chunks into a paste.
- Add in the tuna, carrot, onion, basil, chives, corn flour and sea salt; mix well.
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Pour about 5 mm depth of sun flower seed oil into a baking tray of roughly 6"x10".
- Divide the mixture into 12 similar-sized balls, slightly flatten each and dip in the egg then carefully coat each fish cake with bread crumbs. Place all the fish cakes in the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes before turning the bottom side up and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley, squeeze some lime over the fish cakes and serve with hot boiled rice.
I like it with rice, and some spicy Thai chilli sauce... yum.