Prawn and Asparagus Stir Fry with Rice Wine Sauce
Fresh, juicy prawns, crunchy to the bite, stir fried with asparagus and topped with rice wine sauce... That was what went through my mind before I cooked this dish, and so i did. My first time ever trying to do this myself, and there's no regrets.
It was simpler than I thought it would be. Just gotta make sure that the prawns are absolutely fresh.
300 gram prawns, shells removed but keep the tails
400 gram asparagus
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon rice wine
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon light soya sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon fish sauce
A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
A pinch of freshly ground white pepper
- Clean up the prawns thoroughly, drain to dry. Marinate with the rice wine, flour, and the ground pepper.
- Clean and half the asparagus, root ends and hard old outer skin trimmed away.
- Heat some frying oil in a wok, brown the garlic then stir in the asparagus and stir fry on high till cooked. Remove and place (or arrange as you wish) in a dish.
- Add a little more oil to the wok, reduce heat to medium. Add in the prawns and stir fry till they just turned red.
- Add the soya sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce and about half a bowl of water. Stir fry for another 2 minutes till everything is well stirred through.
- Pour the prawns and sauce over the asparagus.
- Serve with hot fluffy rice.
Prawns tend to shrink when cooked, so I'll pick larger ones otherwise I might end up having a really tiny portion.
I guess I could also adding in the prawns without removing the asparagus beforehand, but prawns should be last in, as it cooks really quickly.
For thicker sauce, some tapioca flour or corn flour can be mixed into the water before adding to the wok. And some people prefer to add a little chopped ginger with the garlic, to reduce the fishy smell and taste. I would too, if I fancy a little more chopping work 😀