Cheese Grilled Stuffed Bell Pepper Capsicum
I do this when I have capsicums that are quite a few days old and are not quite so nice to be eaten raw. It's really versatile as I can have it as an appetiser or as a main meal with some nice whole grain bread.
1. 2 bell peppers/capsicums, cut into half, length way. I discard the seeds but keep the stems as they make it look prettier.
2. 1 small onion, finely chopped.
3. 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped or minced.
4. 5-6 button mushrooms (depending on the size of the capsicums), finely chopped.
5. Some dried oregano, salt and pepper, and ground paprika.
6. Some mature cheddar cheese, sliced in mall pieces.
The carb filling:
I would've used risotto but unfortunately I can't find them. As a substitute I found this rice-like pasta (a type of pastina) called semi di cicoria and I thought I'd give it a go.
Just cook according to instruction, similar to all pasta, for about 5 minutes. Strain, and I've oiled it with a little olive oil from my marinated feta cheese. Set aside.
1. Heat a little oil (I've used rice bran oil) in a small pan, then shallow fry in the onion, garlic, and oregano till the onion is soft.
2. In with the mushroom, cook till soft for a few minutes, then add in the cooked pastina.
3. Season with the paprika, salt and pepper, then cook and stir for a few more minutes, remove from heat.
4. Fill the the halved capsicums with the cooked ingredients, and place them in a shallow oven dish.
1. Set the oven to 180ºC.
2. Cover the filled capsicums with the cheese.
3. Bake them in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
The amount of cheese used is really depending on one's preference. I like the cheese to be quite neatly staying on the top and not drip all over the oven dish, so i tend to not go crazy with it.
Sometimes, I might have a non-vegetarian version and add in some chopped bacon to the mix. I'm sure it would taste really nice too.
Feeds 2 normal size adults or 1 big 1 small, and the likes. 😊