Crab Meat Pasta Bake
We don't often cook seafood especially crab, as it's hard to get fresh crab home in this weather, without a car. Also, I'm not sure if I could handle live crabs. 😅
But since discovering frozen crabmeat at the local grocer, it's become possible to include crab in our cooking once in a while.
Have adopted a creamy pasta bake method, and made this on a Sunday afternoon.
500g frozen crab meat, thawed
200g elbow pasta
100g button mushrooms, sliced
Half a red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
A glug of white wine
50g cream cheese, softened
A sprinkle of dried oregano
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons plain flour
A pinch of rock salt
Some ground paprika
- Cook pasta according to instruction on the pack, reduce cooking time by a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, heat some vegetable oil and sautee the garlic and onion on medium heat till soften.
- Add in the dried oregano and let it simmer for about a minute. Stir in the mushroom and cook for a few minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add in the crab meat, stir and mix well before pouring in the white wine. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the softened cream cheese, keep stirring till completely melted. Add in some milk or water at this point if it's too thick or dry.
- Drain the pasta and mix it into the pan with the crab meat. Mix well and season with some rock salt, remove from heat.
- Set the oven to 180°C. Grease the base of an 8" square oven dish with a little butter.
- Pour the entire crab meat mixture into the dish.
- In a small deep pan, heat the butter on low. When melted stir in the plain flour to make a soft paste.
- Add milk gradually while stirring constantly to make a smooth bernaise sauce. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Pour the bernaise sauce all over the top of the crab meat pasta. Spread evenly to cover everything. Lightly sprinkle some paprika over the sauce.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for further 10 minutes at 200°C.Leave it stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting into serving portions.
- Serve with some wild rocket and olives.
There was enough to serve four, so we freeze 2 portions which can then be prepared like ready oven meal for another day.